FORT LAUDERDALE, FL - ChildNet hosted its Broward Care for Kids Luncheon, presented by Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP, on Friday May 13th at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six in Fort Lauderdale. Proceeds from the luncheon will help to support Broward County’s children in foster care. During the Luncheon, ChildNet honored Founder and CEO of Lauren’s Kids Lauren Book.
The Mayor of Broward County, Marty Kiar honorably made a proclamation that May 13th is Lauren Book Day in Broward County for her work as an activist for childhood sexual abuse prevention. Guests also heard from Milena, a compelling foster youth who shared how she has personally benefitted from ChildNet’s efforts in placing her with a loving foster family and how it has prepared her to reach her goals.
The event, emceed by Eric Yutzy from WPLG-ABC Local 10 News, was an opportunity for the Broward County community to rally behind ChildNet, Broward County’s Community-Based Care lead agency responsible for administration of the local child welfare system, and show support for children in the foster care system. The Care for Kids Luncheon was held to raise funds and support developmental activities and items needed to bring hope to more than 3,600 children in Broward County from swimming lessons, braces and sports uniforms to college tours and one-on-one tutoring.
“The funds and support we need go beyond basic necessities or dollars,” said Emilio Benitez, President/CEO of ChildNet. “We need to provide these children with love that will allow them to feel safe and also allow them to succeed and thrive from the moment they enter the foster care system to the moment they leave it.”
Latest from City View
- What's New at the World's Largest In-Water Boat Show?
- Blue Martini Fort Lauderdale Presents First-Ever Mom's Night Out on September 18
- The Florida Department of Economic Opportunity Announces Extension of Application Deadline for $75 Million Rebuild Florida Voluntary Home Buyout Program
- 50 Years to the Day Hippefest Celebrates Anniversary of Woodstock with Ten Years After, Big Brother & The Holding Company and Vanilla Fudge
- Holy Cross Medical Group Adds New Pediatrician