The Fourth of July is a uniquely American Holiday when we gather with family and friends to celebrate our nation's Independence. This year, with the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School still fresh in our minds and with acts of violence taking place locally and abroad, we are especially grateful for the blessings of freedom, peace and equality.
As we mark America's 242th Birthday, we invite you to join us for our Fourth of July Spectacular on Wednesday from Noon - 9:30 p.m. on Fort Lauderdale Beach. The free event will take place at A1A and Las Olas and feature family activities, beach games, live music and more. At 5:45 p.m., we will induct four City icons, Evelyn Fortune Bartlett, Beauregard Cummings, Dr. Elliott Miley Hendricks, and Robert B. "Buddy" Lochrie, Jr., into the Fort Lauderdale Walk of Fame. At 9:00 p.m., all eyes will turn toward the sky for our dazzling fireworks show over the Atlantic Ocean! For all the details, please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/july4.
This weekend, as you hear patriotic music being played and see thousands of American flags being waved, please pause to remember the heroic men and women of our United States Armed Forces who helped make our freedom possible. Today, these courageous soldiers continue to defend our democracy, safeguard our security, protect our liberty, and preserve our outstanding quality of life. If you have an opportunity, please make a special effort to thank them for their sacrifice and service.
On behalf of the City of Fort Lauderdale, I wish everyone a happy, healthy, and safe Fourth of July.
Dean J. Trantalis
Latest from City View
- Fashion Forward for Paws – Sets New Record!
- Jm Family Enterprises Smart Stage Matinees Make Learning Fun This November
- Slow Burn Theatre Company Stages “Hedwig And The Angry Inch” With A Cast Of Carbonell Award Winners
- Museum of Discovery and Science, Rail Events Productions, and Brightline bring Warner Bros.’ THE POLAR EXPRESS™ Train Ride to Fort Lauderdale
- Symphony Of The Americas Celebrates Thirtieth Anniversary At Season Opening With Stellar Soloists And Great Music Making