Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. – The Alzheimer’s Association® is inviting Broward County residents to join the fight to end Alzheimer’s by participating in the Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s. The Walk will take place on Saturday, October 13, 2018 at Nova Southeastern University, 301 College Ave., Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. This is a family and pet friendly event.
Alzheimer's Association Walk to End Alzheimer's participants will complete a 2-mile walk and will learn about Alzheimer's disease, advocacy opportunities, clinical studies enrollment and support programs and services from the Alzheimer’s Association. Walk participants also honor those affected by Alzheimer's disease with the poignant Promise Garden ceremony.
“I walk for my mom, for my dad, in honor of their memory,” said Mary Ann Watson, Walk Committee Chair. “But more so I walk to bring awareness to be a part of the solution. I walk for my husband and my children. I walk for my children’s children. I am proud to walk as a nurse educator, I walk with a loud voice, as a pioneer, as a warrior to END Alzheimer’s. To stop the disease from taking so many lives and changing whole families.”
“More than 5 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease, the sixth-leading cause of death in the U.S.,” said Joel Robinson, Development Manager for the Alzheimer’s Association Southeast Florida Chapter. “It’s the only disease among the top 10 causes that cannot be cured, prevented or even slowed. Alzheimer’s disease is relentless. So are we.”
More than 16 million family and friends provide care to people with Alzheimer’s and other dementias in the U.S. In Florida alone, there are more than 540,000 people living with the disease and more than 1.1 million caregivers.
Register today. Sign up as a Team Captain, join a team or register to walk as an individual at alz.org/walk.
Latest from City View
- Broward Performing Arts Foundation Goes Saturday Night Chic at Annual Celebration to Benefit the Broward Center for the Performing Arts
- Celebrate Mother’s Day at Truluck’s Seafood, Steak and Crab House
- “Femme in Depth” Celebrates Inspirational Women at Holy Cross Hospital
- The All-New Musical “American Girl Live” Celebrates The Power Of Girls And Strength Of Friendship
- The Fort Lauderdale Downtown Development Authority And Freebee Launch Free On-Demand Door-To-Door Electric Vehicle Pilot Program In Downtown Fort Lauderdale