Broward County Public Schools (BCPS) joins the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in promoting Fire Prevention Week – October 7 – 13, 2018. In an effort to expand the observance, BCPS is celebrating Fire Prevention the entire month of October with the theme: “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware – fire can happen anywhere.”
Throughout the District, schools are partnering with local fire and rescue departments for events, activities, contests, and presentations to learn more about fire safety and prevention. The latest statistics from the NFPA show that if you have a reported fire in your home, you are more likely to die today than you were a few decades ago.
“Through three simple calls-to-action – look, listen and learn – this year’s theme identifies basic but essential ways people can reduce their risk to fire and be prepared in the event of one, said BCPS Chief Fire Official Dr. MaryAnn May. “Practicing fire prevention and safety can save your life.”
This year’s theme aims to help people with three tips:
- Look for places where a fire can start. Take a look around your home for potential fire hazards, such as overloaded electrical outlets.
- Listen for the sound of your smoke alarm. Have you tested it this month? Is it more than 10 years old? You can find the manufacture date on the back. If your alarm is older than 10 years, it’s time to replace it, especially if it’s battery-operated.
- Learn two ways out. Make sure your family knows they can break a window to escape if necessary. Determine your meeting place beforehand so you can confirm everyone is out of the house.
“People take safety for granted and are not aware of the risk of fire,” said Lorraine Carli, NFPA vice president of Outreach and Advocacy. “Paying attention to your surroundings, looking for available exits in the event of a fire or other emergency, and taking the smoke alarm seriously if it sounds can make a potentially life-saving difference in a fire or other emergency situation.”
“Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware – fire can happen anywhere,” works to remind the public that fires can and do still happen – at home, as well as other locations – and that these are basic but vitally important steps people can take to remain safe. For more information and resources about this year’s “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware – fire can happen anywhere.” campaign, visit firepreventionweek.org.
Latest from City View
- Colors Of Art And Music Intermingle At Symphony Of The Americas
- ArtServe Awards $1,250 to Winners of Annual Juried Fine Art Exhibition “ArtBRAVO”
- Enrollment Is Open For The Ultimate Theater Camp Experience At The Broward Center
- 3 Ways a Mental ‘Road Map’ Can Manifest Your Success
- Important Information for Families: Head Start/Early Head Start Open Enrollment