The Broward Metropolitan Planning Organization (Broward MPO) has partnered with South Florida Commuter Services (SFCS), a program of the Florida Department of Transportation, and Stranahan High School’s Engineering Magnet Program
to provide students with projects from the TRAC & RIDES Educational Program as well as the opportunity to participate in unique field trips this school year.
The Stranahan Science/Pre-Engineering Program currently offers a state-of-the-art science and engineering facility to nearly 200 registered students, who meet high academic standards. The high school often seeks partnerships to enhance learning and offer hands-on experience that relates to the real world.
Over the last few months, the students have enjoyed lessons in bridge building and motion from the TRAC & RIDES program. TRAC & RIDES is a hands-on, educational program of the American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials designed for use in science, math, and social science classes. This program engages middle and high school students in solving real-world engineering problems at a professional level. Stranahan students got to build a bridge as part of the Bridge Builder Module complete with 3D software as well as learn about motion detector photogates as part of the Motion and Transportation Engineering Module. The right to use the program comescourtesy of the Florida Department of Transportation to middle and highschools.
In addition to theclassroom training, Stranahan students were also given the opportunity toobserve real life transportation projects happening in the field. Incoordination with I-595, Broward County, and SMART SunGuide, the students wereable to take field trips to tour the I-595 construction zones, the FortLauderdale Airport, and the SMART SunGuide Transportation Management Center(TMC). Being in the field at I-595 and the Fort Lauderdale Airport gave thestudents the opportunity to see civil and transportation engineering practicesin action, while the TMC allowed the students a bird’s eye view of how trafficis managed in Broward County.
“In addition to providing an enhanced classroom experiencefor our students with TRAC & RIDES,” said Juan Formoso, Coordinator of the Stranahan Engineering Magnet Program, “the field trips gave students the opportunity to see projects that are impactful to our region and happening now.This partnership has introduced students to the work world of transportation and civil engineering and has inspired them to consider careers in those fields.”
- Broward Education Foundation funds innovative teacher projects
- BCPS to Offer the SAT Exam Free to All High School Juniors District Partners With College Board for SAT School Day
- BCPS Announces 2016 Graduation Schedule
- School Choice Application Window for the 2016/17 School Year Opens December 1, 2015
- (BCP) Minority Success Academy Early Years Program Receives $200,000 Grant
Latest from City View
- “PJ Masks Live! Save The Day” Comes To The Broward Center For The Performing Arts
- New Mental Health App Nothing But Advice© Launches in Florida Qualified mental health professionals available in real-time 24-7
- Broward Performing Arts Foundation Goes Saturday Night Chic at Annual Celebration to Benefit the Broward Center for the Performing Arts
- Celebrate Mother’s Day at Truluck’s Seafood, Steak and Crab House
- “Femme in Depth” Celebrates Inspirational Women at Holy Cross Hospital